Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 22:11:42 -0500
From:      Jaime Bozza <wheelman@atom.com>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   2.1.0-951020-SNAP Problems.

I just installed a new version of FreeBSD.  I have used and installed 2.0.5
versions, and have had no problem in the past utilizing the pkg_manage
utility.  Other than a couple of minor problems, it seemed to work
perfectly.

Now, I install 2.1.0 ...  Wow, a nice package install utility right from
there!  Try to use it and it tells me I don't have enough temp space, and
to try when the system is up and running.  Not a problem.  I get the system
up and running, run /stand/sysinstall and it allows me to select a couple
of packages I want to install.   So far so good.  Then I try to install
them.  It FTPs them from the site (Using ftp.cdrom.com), and then tries to
untar them.  The system tells me there were errors.

	(Now, this is from memory, so the wording won't be QUITE the same)
	tar: cannot find file './<any package>'
	cannot find file +CONTENTS in this file.  Not a package?

I can get the exact error if you'd like, but I think you might get the
idea.  The next step I tried was to just use pkg_manage.  After crashing
out on running pkg_info (Because only a partial package was installed I
assume), it did the EXACT same thing.  Next I tried running pkg_delete to
delete the partial packages installed so pkg_info would work.  I then tried
pkg_add to add it THAT way.  Same error.  I tried running pkg_add with the
FULL pathname (I entered:
	pkg_add /tmp/<package>
instead of being in the directory and just typing:
	pkg_add <package>

This time is SAID it installed the package, though not all the files were
installed as near as I can tell.  I tried running pkg_info -a at this time,
and it crashed out after displaying the installed package.

Needless to say, this got me a bit frustrated after being able to install
packages so easily with 2.0.5 ...  I've manually installed some of the
basic stuff I need, but I would LIKE to, if possible, find out why I can't
use pkg_manage right now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jaime Bozza
wheelman@atom.com