Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 23:16:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        luiz@mirage.nlink.com.br (Luiz de Barros)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD PPP for terminal server.

Luiz de Barros writes:
> I would like to use my freeBSD system as a ppp server for our dial-in
> modems connected through a terminal server. The Terminal server would
> telnet to freebsd , on which would give the login of the user and init
> PPPd.

Your terminal server does not do PPP?

> Two problems arrised:
> 1- How to ensure that only the terminal server will be able to login?
>    anybody coming from outside world would not be allowed to login.

A couple of things come to mind.  Use the access list facility in
tcp-wrappers.  Use the facilities provided by login.access that is
part of login. Build a special telnetd that only accepts connections
from your domain.

In all cases you have to block IP spoofing at your border routers.
You should be doing that anyway.

> 2- How to assign Dynamic IP addresses from a range of for example 33 to 49?

Tricky.  I have seen some scripts floating around for this.  You
might check the FreeBSD mail archives.

I would be very interested to know how this project comes out.

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       FreeBSD Servers and Workstations
(954) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions