Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:48:42 -0400
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <akirchhoff135014@comcast.net>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, brahmann@lifec0re.net
Subject:   Re: Hi, i have a question about radeonHD driver on amd64 freebsd

On 07/26/2011 02:00 PM, René Ladan wrote:
> 2011/7/26 brahmann<brahmann@lifec0re.net>:
>> Hi, my question is: when will be the support of Radeon HD5670 and higher on
>> freebsd amd64 arch?
> I did originally write the port for this driver but the current maintainer is
> x11@freebsd.org (cc'd).  I'm not using this driver anymore either.

As you can see from the upstream commit messages (
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd/ ), the
radeonhd driver is no longer developed.  You will not see any more
features or hardware support added to this driver.

The radeon driver (aka xf86-video-ati ) should, theoretically, support
2D modesetting on HD5xxx GPUs.  Acceleration on HD5xxx GPUs as well as
acceleration and modesetting on HD6xxx GPUs requires kernel
modesetting.  As far as I know, no one has begun work on KMS for radeon
GPUs on FreeBSD.

Adam