Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:05:58 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        roam@freebsd.org
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libmp implementation in terms of libcrypto

Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:27:27AM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Attached is a sharball of a libmp implementation in terms of
> > libcrypto.  This was discussed on -arch, and the consensus is that
> > although it'd be nice if the world used the BIGNUM API directly, it
> > can't hurt to be backwards compatible.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if somebody could review and/or test this.  To
> > test it, just build it, install it, and link all programs that use it
> > using "-lmp -lcrypto".  Once this is in the tree, the GPV'd libgmp
> > monster can be taken out and shot.  I've tested all the in-tree
> > programs that use it except for the Kerberized telnets, and they seem
> > to work as well as they have before.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > 					Dima Dorfman
> >
> > P.S.  The libmp installed in /usr/lib has major number 3; the sharball
> > below bumps it to 4.  Is this actually necessary?
>
> Haven't really tested this, just to answer this question: the library
> version bump will only be needed if you decide to install this as libgmp,
> not libmp.  In that case, all executables compiled earlier will contain
> a reference to libgmp.so.3, and no reference to libcrypto.  Thus, they
> would fail with the (new) libgmp.so.3, so there needs to be a version bump.
>
> If this is installed as libmp, then you might as well start over again
> with mp.1, and keep gmp.3 in a compat4x distribution or something.

This makes sense assuming that we have no libmp right now.  That
assumption is false.  Observe:

	dima@hornet% ll /usr/lib/libmp*
	-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  82274 Jul 13 01:51 /usr/lib/libmp.a
	lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     10 Jul 13 01:51 /usr/lib/libmp.so -> libmp.so.3
	-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  39948 Jul 13 01:51 /usr/lib/libmp.so.3

All programs that need a libmp interface are linked as "-lmp -lgmp".
I'm guessing that /usr/lib/libmp.so that we have now is a libmp
interface in terms of libgmp.