Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:41:39 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: witness code status?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 04:32:36PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> What's the current status of the integration of BSDi's
> witness code?  If I include "options WITNESS" in my kernel
> config file, I get an immediate panic at boot.  My sources
> are from today (01 Oct 00), and the system is currently
> running a MP kernel (built without the witness code).
>
> PS:  Yes, I know there will be periods of instability, but
>      you (the SMP developers) can't possibly have all combinations
>      of MP hardware.

I (and others) have been running kernels with the witness code enabled for
over a month.  The witness code's purpose is to detect lock cycles that
could cause deadlock, among other incorrect mutex uses.  The stack trace
and panic message in your email seem indicate a programming error.  In
other words, the witness code is doing its job.

Jason