Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2012 11:00:20 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   VIA VL8xx USB 3.0 controller supported?

I just recently purchased one of these:

 http://www.ianker.com/anker-uspeed-use-3.0-pci-express-card/product/68UPPCIE-2S20PU

Given that the ads for it say that it is 100% compatible with the Intel
xHCI specification, I kind-of had some hope that it would just work with
FreeBSD... if not older versions then at least with the 9.1-RC3 install
that I happen to have on one system here at the moment.

Alas, as far as I can tall, the presence of the thing in the system in
question is not even noticed by the kernel.  There are no startup dmesg
messages that seem to even vaguely relate to the thing.  It's like it just
isn't physically there.

So what gives?  Are these VIA VL8xx controllers supported by/in FreeBSD or
not?

And while we are on the subject, how come most other man pages for most
other drivers for "controller" type things actually do list the specific
hardware controllers that they are known to work with, and yet _none_ of
the USB-related driver man pages (xhci(4), ehci(4), ohci(4), uhci(4))
apparently bother to do this?

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  It is of course possible that I just simply got a bad card.  I'll be
plugging in into a Windows system I have here soon to try to be sure about
that, one way or the other.

P.P.S.  Oddly, ArchLinux (LiveCD) didn't appear to see the thing either.