Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:29:07 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Matt Sykes <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>, walter@i.r00ted.it, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java support not in FreeBSD 4.5R after all?

Thus spake Matt Sykes <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>:
> > >I've eagerly installed FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE but sadly I could not
> > find a
> > >trace of the native JDK/JRE.
>
> Then what is ports/java/jdk13?  I have built this and used it.

Yes, but to get it, you have to agree to the Sun license, download the
file from Sun, get patches from another site, install a certified
Linux port of JDK to compile the source, and then maybe it will work.
Once the FreeBSD port is certified, it can be distributed in binary
form without all of the caveats of the port.