Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:59:33 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet Another bug in src/Makefile

> * of course there is good argument that the installed to area should
> * be clean to prevent old files from contaminating a setup...  but
> * if we start to clean out /usr/include, we should also do /{bin,sbin}
> * /usr/{bin,share,sbin,lib,libexec} and any others that get installed...
>
>I agree with you, but the comments at the top of src/Makefile say
>otherwise.

I agree too.  Perhaps the mtree database (bin.mtree in releases) provides
enough information to clean up standard binary directories, and packages
should use an mtree database instead of a home made format.

>Should we just nuke the CLOBBER option entirely, or change
>the rules so it will actually delete /usr/include/*?

Don't nuke it.  It works as intended for `make includes' run separately
from `make world'.  (`make includes' itself doesn't run quite as intended.
It is missing a few directories in 2.2 and has some problems with libss in
all versions.  Using CLOBBER with `make includes' in 2.2 ensures a few
missing includes unless `make install' is run later to install everything
:-).)

Bruce