Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:15:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: migrating 2.1.7 -> 2.2: simple or hairy?

>  I know it sounds painful, but once you get the procedure down to a
>  science it's really not that bad, and the benefits are that you're
>  *sure* you haven't got old-library pollution or out-of-date /etc files
>  or any of the other 101 weird behavior quirks that an update-by-source
>  (or even update-by-upgrade) machine can exhibit.  Look at it as a
>  little extra pain up-front in exchange for avoiding it at later, less
>  convenient times. :-)

I move the /etc and /var directories, install, and then diff the two
etc directories so I know what custom things I added in etc and are needed
to be added into the new etc directory. I keep var because I want the cron
tabs, logs and printer spools (and know that nothing happens to mail). A
quick diff the /var will pick up new files (like /var/log/slip.log a couple
releases ago).

one way to remove old libraries after installing the compat libraries:

# cd /usr/lib/compat
for i in *
 do
  rm ../$i
 done

After the looping rm, it is wise to to do a "ls -lt /usr/lib". This will
flag any really, really old library that maybe needs updating or got moved
to another directory.

--mark.