Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:00:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@eurocontrol.fr>, "FreeBSD Current Users' list" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, green@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld br0ken in libutil

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > -On [20000822 17:30], Ollivier Robert (roberto@eurocontrol.fr) wrote:
> >> Brian, I'm afraid you broke libutil... Every program using libutil now must
> >> depend on libcrypt too.
>
> No.  This is precisely why shared libraries have dependencies.  For
> static linking, what Brian has done Just Works.  For dynamic linking,
> libutil needs to depend on libcrypt to get its symbols resolved.
> (Alternatively you might be able to do it with weak symbols.)

Actually, the change breaks static linking for most programs that use
one of the functions described in login_cap(3).  This is because it
adds login_setcrypt() to the existing spam in login_cap.c.  This
breaks limits, cron, crontab, inetd and sendmail in /usr/src alone.
For dynamic linking, it only wastes time and space for the rarely
actually used library.

Bruce