Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:38:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SO_KEEPALIVE

Question, stupid, nonetheless a question:

Does anybody see any advantage to allowing for a way to set a systemwide
SO_KEEPALIVE default of ON?

My reason for asking:  from time to time, I run into situations where
software does not correctly terminate connections, most often due to broken
Portmasters or broken TCP/IP implementations.  For example,

smp       2983  0.0  0.0   412  348 ??  I    13Mar96    0:01.79 -ws1-6.gmttech.ods.net: smp: STOR test.zip                                  (ftpd)

or the dozens of hung nnrp processes that get into write() and never get out
on daily-planet.execpc.com.  My usual fix is to patch the source to enable
KEEPALIVE...

I don't mind a local kernel patch but it seems to me that many ISP's might
find this useful.

... JG