Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:37:40 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@attglobal.net>
Cc:        "Conrad Sabatier" <conrads@home.com>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Will Andrews" <andrews@technologist.com>
Subject:   Re: GDM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@attglobal.net>
To: <fosburgh@flash.net>
Cc: "Conrad Sabatier" <conrads@home.com>; <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>; "Will
Andrews" <andrews@technologist.com>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 8:06 AM

> > Here is a red flag to look for. FreeBSD passwords are encrypted
differently
> > than passwords in most UNIX systems. I have run into some code (such as
the
> > LambdaMOO server) that expect old style passwords, and so you have to do
> > some special patching to fix that. I would check there if it is not
> > authenticating correctly.
>
> Interesting...if this is true, do you know how kdm does it (we have a port
for
> kde-core, which contains kdm, and it works fine)--do they do this same big
bandaid?

I have no idea how they handle it, that is why I mention it as something
that may be a problem. I have never looked at the source code for *dm, and
it is entirely possible that none of them have a problem. It basically
depends on how they handle the authentication. The problem with LambdaMOO
was that it used crypt() (I think) to encrypt the passwords, but when
someone attempted to log in it used something different, and was expecting
the old format. If you look at the encrypted passwords in FreeBSD, you will
notice they all begin something like $1$ and then have the actual password,
so you get something like $1$fghYTd.gfjd, and the server was just wanting
the fghYTd.gfjd, and so it couldn't authenticate.