Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tbaird@lsv-is.lifescan-can.com (Tim Baird)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Information on FreeBSD

>hello.  I was wondering whether or not FreeBSD was something you could
>use to replace Windows 95.

depends on the job you want it to do

I need to know if all Windows programs were
>compatible with FreeBSD or any other UNIX based Operating Systems.

Generally not

>The reason for this is because many people have recommended OS'es like
>FreeBSD and Linux to me and I would like to find a way to get Microsoft,
>the most tyrannical company in the world, off of my computer.
>Thank you,
>Robert Roper

Good luck, but I think that you are comparing apples and oranges...Win NT is
the closest MS system that you would attempt to replace/substitute with an
OS like FBSD or Linux.  Think in terms of web servers, router/gateways ,
proxy servers, packet filtering, dial-up networking, and various other
non-GUI type functions that make up the real world of systems management.