Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:53:26 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        giffunip@asme.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   free grep (was Re: Shells)

I read this in the -arch archives...

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Heh..:-) Please replace grep with the recently developed free grep and

HA!  Freegrep is no where near ready.  Everyone has complained about the
speed issues (yeah, it was slow) and I am still working to speed it
up.  The version currently in the ports tree (textproc/freegrep) is a
whole lot faster but still sucks compared to the GNU version.  I tore my
hair out trying to figure out how they did it.

I last touched the sources in December and I am getting incrementally
closer to the speed of GNU but I am still not there.  I also think I
broken a number of options but it depends on which release you are
using.  I think the 0.15 in the ports tree has most of the options
currently working, but I am going from memory.  Unfortunetly, I have not
done anything since December and will not until June due to classwork (I
hate being a student).  If anyone is interested in looking at all the work
completed so far, let me know and I will let you at the most current
sources.

Jamie