Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 15:07:44 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>, "Dominic Marks" <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: setting time without changing securelevel

A cron job using ntpdate actually changes your time.  Which may not be good
for data going into a database, especially data keyed off of the time.  ntpd
will adjust the speed of your system clock so that it slows down or speeds
up to match the "network" clock.  This is friendly to database activity.  I
don't see why I would need a hardware extension to keep time accurate.
Accurate time is not that much of an issue (a minute or two is OK with me),
but I do want all my machines synced.  Also, I don't expose the time daemon
to the outside world, so the exploit is only local, and my users are
trusted.   FreeBSD doesn't actually use xntpd, it migrated over (back?) to
ntp some time back.  I think the xntpd knob should probably be changed.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net