Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:21:35 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun's web site

Terry Lambert said on Aug 19, 2000 at 01:31:48:
> > If they are giving away their source, they probably aren't planning on
> > making much of a profit from it any more.  If they use the GPL, they can
> > be pretty sure that no one else will make one, either.
>
> If I have a beer, and I'm not going to drink it, if I piss in it,
> I can be pretty sure no one will drink it, either.

A totally ridiculous and irrelevant analogy, and exactly what I meant
with my licensing wars comment earlier.  A more hardline commercial
developer may argue that BSD-licensing code is "pissing in it" because
people will always prefer to use that instead of a commercial
equivalent.  (eg, SSH versus OpenSSH -- it's fairly clear that it was
the existence of OpenSSH which forced the SSH people to change their
licensing policy a few days ago.)

Rahul.