Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:49:53 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hard error reading fsbn...

Hello All,

I recently had a filesystem (unfortunately /) fail, with a number of
kernel error messages logged as follows:

wd0s1a: hard error reading fsbb 196734 (wd0s1 bn 1976734; cn 12 tr 62;
sn 48) (status 59 <rdy, seekdone, drq, error> error 40 <uncorr>

I was able to recover the filesystem without any major loss, and I've
been testing the drive extensively since. It has not failed again, but
I'm left with a quesy feeling about using this drive on a production
machine.

I'd be interested in knowing peoples opinion on the stability of the
drive, and whether it should be scrapped (ie. used on a linux machine :-)
or not.

Notes:

The /var/log/messages file has since been rotated, and I've lost the
exact kernel message. The above text has been recreated from my (paper)
notes.

The failure occured during a 'make installworld' of -current, and I'll admit
to a bad freebsd-karma day :-) However, to the best of knowledge the failure
was *not* due to changes in -current.

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)