Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 2002 04:47:27 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> > See my references.  Do the math.  The game you are describing has
>> > only one set of paredo-optimal results.
>>
>> I can infer the validity from my observations, thank you.
>
> Then may I suggest you do so?  8-).

Already disproved by my observations.

>> A better example is focus on what you want to read rather than
>> focusing on what others do not want to read. By your own mechanics,
>> if everyone did this, trolls would not have any effect on the
>> community.
>
> There are people who can not do this.  I would prefer to have the
> contributions of those people, than the participation of the trolls.
> If I must lose one or the other, let it be the trolls.

I feel exactly the opposite. If someone can't hit a key on the
keyboard and render the troll powerless, I don't want to be held
hostage to their choices. Good riddance.

>> You don't appparently even have the desire to know what real "good"
>> is. Hint: it's not the average perception.
> The closest you can come to any ideal is to produce a system whose
> output asymptotically approaches the ideal.

Assuming a numerical space upon which the range of the solution lies,
of course. =P

>> > We already know how to measure good: it's 100 minus the precentage
>> > deviation from the consensus.
>>
>> I disagree that this is good or has anything to do with real good.
>
> The consensus definition is all that matters,

Actually, it matters the least.

> unless you believe we are being judged against some absolute scale
> by a higher power.

This is a classic religious (and thus, inaccurate) tenet.

Good has a definition which is non-obvious except to a 6 year old.
Except it's not useful to define good or even quest for it.

>> The consensus thinks that getting filthy rich is good. If everyone
>> were filthy rich, there wouldn't be a notion of rich or poor, and
>> the concept would vanish. Then no one would be rich.
>
> Or poor.  And that would be good.

Well, people would focus on not being rich. Then they'd be unhappy.
What good is a BMW if you cant brag to your friends because they
all have one too? ;)

>> > Your insistance on "unknowability" is bizarre.
>>
>> To you, perhaps. Everything must be knowable in your universe. I can
>> live with some things being unknowable.
>
> You lack of curiousity and determination marks you.

There's a misread. I don't lack these things at all. What made you say
this?

>> > A definition I accept; I don't claim to have originated it.
>>
>> I don't accept it outside of physics or engineering, surprise
>> surprise, but you brought it up therefore it's yours. ;)
>
> You lack of a belief in gravity will not spare you from its effects.  8-).

Actually, it's coupled to survival. If I stop believing in gravity to
the point where it stops working, I'll fly off the planet and die in
space. So I'd better keep beliveing in gravity, eh? ;)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

We may eventually come to realize that chastity is no more a virtue
than malnutrition.
                -- Alex Comfort