Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 03:13:33 -0000
From:      sib@tormail.org
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports as an unprivileged user

Hi. While looking up how to configure ports to run as a user other than
root, I came across a few pages that describe setting some make.conf
variables.

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg31323.html

Is there any plans or work being done on making this kind of system
default? There "probably" won't be any exploits in fetch/libfetch, but
there's also no reason to do everything as root. Even just the distfile
fetching as a user would be better I think. We could have a dedicated
"ports" user that has access to /usr/ports/distfiles or something. Just
some security for consideration.