Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:40:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's happened to nfsd and mountd?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, grog@lemis.de
had to walk into mine and say:

> For the past 10 days or so, I haven't been able to build functional
> nfsd and mountd: they die with messages like these:
>
> Jan  8 11:34:38 freebie mountd[1215]: Can't register mount
> Jan  8 11:35:16 freebie nfsd:[1261]: can't register with udp portmap

I'm starting to think that this may be due to some changes Peter Wemm
made to the RPC library a short while back (maybe ten days -- not exactly
sure, but it sounds about right). Either that or somebody frobbed some
headers somewhere that broke the library.

I assume you rebuilt the world and not just selected parts of the system,
correct?

> ktraces show that in each case a sendto fails:
>
>    577 mountd   CALL  sendto(0x5,0x465f0,0x38,0,0x46408,0x10)
>    577 mountd   RET   sendto -1 errno 47 Address family not supported by protocol family
>    577 mountd   CALL  write(0x2,0xefbfcb98,0x67)
>    577 mountd   GIO   fd 2 wrote 103 bytes
>        "Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Address family not supported by protocol family
>
>        "
> (don't ask me where stderr goes--I didn't see this message anywhere
> when I ran mountd).
>
> This is apparently not a kernel problem: I can start the versions I
> compiled a month ago and which I still have on my laptop, and they run
> fine.  It's rather puzzling, though, because the source files haven't
> changed in that time.  I can only assume a library problem somewhere,
> but I don't have the time to follow it up.

It's most likely something in the RPC library in libc, not in the programs.
Rrrrr.... excuse me while I go fill up the gas tank on my LART.

-Bill