Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:41:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Jon <cykyc@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting more information from ipfw logs

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Jon wrote:

[snip]
> Two concerns with that logic:
>
> 1. Snort is detective (the 'D' in IDS :); a firewall
> is usually preventative (maybe w/ some detection).  If
> one is preventing the 'attacks', but not knowing that
> they're occuring, he might not pick up on patterns of
> attacks, depending on the capabilities of the
> firewall's logging.  That might not be a big deal, but
> I'd rather know that someone's knocking on my door
> instead of burying my head in the sand...

	Then span it on the switch...it makes no difference.  You can
	still log packets with ipfw and determine with those logs and the
	combined snort logs what the person was trying to do.

	Either technique works fine.  If you are not smart enough to
	determine what the person was trying to do with both logs from
	ipfw and snort then you don't belong in the security job you are
	doing.

	I've had argument in the past with people over this.  I don't
	think it belongs on this list.

> 2. Snort by itself is purely detective.  Scripts or
> shims need to be put in to it to have it actually
> prevent something.  Your firewall will allow the
> "GET", and snort might not like it, and log it, but
> that particular "GET" is going to still happen.  With
> the proper scripts, this might not be a concern, but
> out-of-the-box, it is.

	The "flex-response" snort module does do this.  IMHO, Snort is
	still far superior (In actual detection) to the IDS's i've used
	because of the active involvement and opensource flexibility.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- Keep on routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"