Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 01:57:37 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

Doug Young wrote:

> > This is a FreeBSD issue.
> >
> > If FreeBSD were to go to GGI and KGI (most of the drivers and all
> > of the interesting code is under the X license), then video modes
> > for all supported cards, and INT 10 BIOS modes up through VESA2
> > would "just work".
> >

> You've lost me there ..... WTF are "GGI" & "KGI" ??

"Generic Graphics Interface" and "Kernel Graphics Interface".

Video drivers that probe and recognize the hardware.

They also have a default VGA, Super-VGA, and VESA driver,
in addition to an X server that will run on top of their
API.

It was discussed at length for 396BSD and later FreeBSD
back in 1993, and then implemented by the Linux crowd,
but released under the X license to ensure that BSD could
adopt it if they wanted.

Use "GGI" and "KGI" as search terms in a search engine,
and you will find it.

-- Terry