Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:28:11 +0300 (MSK)
From:      bag@sinbin.demos.su (Alex G. Bulushev)
To:        jfarmer@goldsword.com (John T. Farmer)
Cc:        bad@uhf.wireless.net, agdolla@datanet.hu, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: fault tolerant :)) setup

> >> Is there any way you know of to set up a redudant system such that the ISA
> >> cards from the primary sever are automaticaly hot switched upon dead of
> >> the primary over to the secondary?
> >
> >i think it is impossibly using fbsd for now ...
>
> Not necessarily impossible...
>
> One approach would be to use a shared NFS server with a private little
> network.  For example:
>
> 	_________	_____________
> 	| NFS	|-------| Dedicated |
> 	| Server|	| HUB       |	____________
> 	|_______|	|___________|	|          |
> 			   |     |______| Server 1 |
> 			   |		|__________|	____________
> 			   |____________________________|          |
> 							| Server 2 |
> 							|__________|
>
> Of course, now you've introduced a failure point within the NFS server
> and the dedicated network (ethernet, FDDI, ATM, etc.).

this is an other case ... we use it on high loaded system,
one NFS server, private 100Mb network and 3 equivalent servers
runing users tasks and share NFS disk ... u can use NAT at the
router for load balansing ...

						 Internet ...
					      <---------------+

						       +------+--------+
		    +--------------+------------+------|router with NAT|
+----------+    +---+----+     +---+----+
|NFS server|    |server 1|     |server 2|   ........
	 private 100Mb network

(network use hub or so, not showing on the picture)

NFS server is weak point of this scheme
u can replace NFS server by dual servers with disk on RAID shared via
SCSI bus and add second router, and second ethernet (used if first failed)

   Alex.