Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 10:59:18 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.Freenix.FR>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and the new malloc

Ollivier Robert writes:
> It seems that Nate Williams said:
> > Except when the 'standard' library has so many problems that the program
> > is much more useful with these non-standard libraries. :(
>
> What problems did  you find with the  new malloc (apart from extra messages
> about memory-handling error in the program) ? I've not tried the new malloc
> yet and that's why I ask the question.

I was talking about the reasons people used the GNU malloc library with
some of their programs rather than using the stock BSD malloc.
Basically, the stock BSD malloc caused a number of programs to be less
useful than they were if compiled against GNU malloc.

I was following up to Bruce's assertion that programs should always use
the standard libraries instead of special purpose (non-standard)
libraries.

Nate