Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 07:03:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, burg@burg.is.ge.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bidirectional ports ?

> >Er, am I missing something?  This sounds right.  If you are rlogin'd, you
> >have one layer of tilde-controls.  If you rlogin and then cu, the cu is a
> >second layer of tilde-control.  If you want to quote a tilde, send "~~".  So
> >if one were rlogin'd twice, and wanted to exit cu, one would do "~~~~."
>
> I always used ^D to exit from rlogin and didn't know that ~. exited from
> it.

Clarification (not flame/etc):

^D doesn't (normally) cause rlogin to exit.  ^D might happen to cause a
program on the other end - a shell, perhaps :-) - to exit, terminating the
connection (and therefore rlogin), but if you were in an interactive program,
it would not work.

One can use ^M~^Z (remember all tilde-cmds need to be right after a carriage
return) to suspend a connection (given a shell with job control)...
^M~. to terminate a connection...  ^M~~ to send ^M~, etc.  These commands
work on both cu and rlogin.  Others are listed in the manual pages and are
not necessarily available in both programs.  In any case, it gets sorta
interesting when you're about 8 levels deep in some muddle of telnet, tip,
cu, kermit, rlogin, etc. and you wanna get to level 3.

;-)  Merry Christmas,

... Joe