Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:50:06 -0700
From:      Derek Kulinski <takeda@takeda.tk>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, avg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem reading vitals from Gigabyte H77-DH3H

Hello Jeremy,

Monday, October 22, 2012, 9:15:29 AM, you wrote:

>> Please let me know if this is enough.

> I'll repeat what I wrote:

> If I could get within the bowels of Gigabyte and actually talk to a
> **real engineer** and not tech support, I could find out if their
> GA-H77-DS3H motherboard has SMBus tie-ins for their H/W monitoring chip.
> If it does, I **absolutely** could add PROPER support for it to
> bsdhwmon.

Ok, I guess I won't be much of help here.
Do you think trying to find developers through linked-in could work?

>> As for the picture of the motherboard, this one
>> (http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/motherboards_gigabyte/135869_2245_draft.jpg)
>> looks way better than any of my picture.

> The H/W monitoring and Super I/O chip on this board is from iTE, but I
> cannot read the silkscreening.  The chip model matters.

It says:

IT8892E
1216-FXS
ZC0FYB

[snip]

> Supermicro Technical Support, comparatively, understands the above
> question and will give full documentation for each board you ask for.
> I've asked them for 10-12 boards "in bulk" once, and they provided all
> the documentation for every board.  It takes them about 2 weeks to get
> it to you -- because they have to get it from an actual engineer.  But
> getting this from consumer-focused manufacturers (ex. Asus, Gigabyte,
> MSI, and even Intel) is difficult.  Don't ask me why.

Is there somewhere a list of recommended computer components (or
companies) that are helpful, so people who are building computers
could take that into account? If I had something like that I would use
it when building the box, since its function is to run FreeBSD.

> bsdhwmon has no support for iTE chips at this time.  It only works with
> Supermicro motherboards which (so far) have been (mostly) Winbond chips
> (now known as Nuvoton).  Some Supermicro boards are also very unique
> and strange, such as some of their higher-end blade-based boards, where
> things are done very uniquely (in some cases, *2* H/W monitoring chips
> are used on the same board, with multiple SMBus slave addresses).

Any plans to add support in the future? Otherwise I guess I'll have to
live with Andriy's solution. While it's not "kosher" at least provides
temperature and fan speed (hopefully the values are correct).

The primary reason for starting the thread was discovering that
values in hw.acpi.thermal are not real. I though all devices were cool
until my computer started freezing after 3 weeks of operation.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda@takeda.tk

There are two ways to construct a software design. Make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies; or make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.