Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2012 20:14:10 +0200
From:      Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix@harmless.hu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 13:52:25 -0400
John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Monday, July 02, 2012 1:23:29 pm Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:55:04 -0400
> > John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > FYI, OFED is present in 9.0 and later including mellanox drivers.
> > > RDMA should be present, but I've no idea about iscsi-over-RDMA or
> > > nfs-over-RDMA.
> >
> > Agreed, it's present. However, it's not in a functional state. Half
> > of the toolkit is missing, and we couldn't get out of the system any
> > better than icmp responses. any other means of communication failed
> > to work. Yup, present, but not functional :)
>
> Hmm, in my local testing we've been able to use the 40G mlxen(4)
> adapters fine with the OFED stack.  I believe we have also done a bit
> more involved testing on the IB side than just ping as well (at least
> RX and TX of UDP packets).

Well, it didn't work for us. We have the connext3 cards. And our goal
was making iscsi-over-RDMA and NFS-over-RDMA work. Though at the end
we've settled with linux and not using RDMA, because that's kinda messy.

When we've tried to do some testin with netcat, no packets were
transmitted really. They've got somewhere lost, there had been some
error message in the syslog, which i can't recall now. We felt like the
packets are getting lost somewhere between the OFED and the IP stack.