Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 16:59:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating software from the ports-collection

Well, imagine I have some software from the ports collection installed on
my system. Now I update the ports collection using CVSup and I notice that
a new version of the software I have installed is available. I can now
normally build and install the new version, but I wonder what happens to
the old version? Its files will be overwritten by the new version, so that
whenever I use the software I use the new version. But will the old
version remain marked as installed in FreeBSD's database? I'm asking this
question because I don't know if I should (for example) remove siag-3.2.0
before I install siag-3.3.3 or if I don't need to worry about that...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nils