Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:10:10 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] SCSI 80 to 68 pin converters, do they work?

Linh Pham wrote:
> On 2002-10-10, Bill Moran scribbled:
>
> # So ... before I send these drives back to Seagate and complain,
> # does anyone have experience with these 80-68 pin converters to
> # tell me whether it could be causing the problem or not?  We
> # got them for less than $10 - should we buy the more expensive
> # converters?  We've tried 2 converters/ 2 drives in all possible
> # combinations and it always detects as 40.
>
> Do you know if the 80-pin to 68-pin adapters were meant for LVD devices?
> The drive will only communicate up to 160MBps only if the entire chain
> is using LVD rather than SE (Ultra Wide SCSI is the highest SE will go).
> My guess is that the converter is causing the drive to kick down out of
> LVD mode and down to SE mode, thus capping it at 40MBps.

This is frustrating.  We can't tell from either the packaging, or from
the product description, or anywhere else; whether these are supposed to
work with LVD or not.
I'm guessing that they're not, or they'd advertise it.

> You will probably need a converter that is meant for LVD devices rather
> in order to get the drive to kick into LVD mode.

Finding these is like buying electronics from the Amish.  The product
descriptions don't really tell you, and the service people don't seem
to know.
Do you know specifically of any products that we can get that *will*
work?

Thanks for the reply.

--
Bill Moran