Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 17:40:16 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        LPPelletier@cmq.qc.ca (Luc Pelletier)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Root passwd again!

 <questions and answers about booting with no root passwd>

> If your console was not made secure, boot single user (with the '-s'
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

here's the key.

> HERE IS MY PROBLEM STATUS ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON :
>
> At the boot: prompt, I typed  -s  and nothing else. The system proceed and I
> got to the 'Type CTRL-D for normal startup or root password for system
> maintenance'  prompt.

Sounds like an SCO message. But the FreeBSD message is similar,
'Enter root password, or ^D to go multi-user'.

This means that you made your console insecure.
As far as I know, your only option now is a reinstall. :(

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com
erich@rrnet.com