Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 1996 13:51:28 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        erich@uruk.org
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, rv@groa.uct.ac.za
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

Hi,

>This is incorrect.  The XXPRESS box that I had REQUIRED the setting of the
>"warm start vector" to operate correctly.  Only by completing the
>generic startup code was I able to get many Pentium systems to work
>correctly on Linux-SMP.

I had already decided to pursue this line of attack and added a vector
to a "HLT" instruction, then going on to let the STARTUP IPI launch
the actual startup code.  this works on my (GA586DX, 2 133mHz P5s)
box, but no diff on the XXPRESS machine.  so I suggested Russel change
HLT to "INT $2", ie NMI to this vector point, which caused the machine to hang.
so I think the INIT/RESET IPI does something right.

so now I am trying to make the INIT/RESET IPI vector directly to the boot code
and skip the STARTUP IPI.  This seems to cause my mahine to miss the 2nd
CPU.  Haven't sent this to Russel yet as I have been making all my changes work
on my machine b4 trying on the XXPRESS.

Question:

isn't the STARTUP IPI redundant if the code in the INIT/RESET IPI vectors
thru warmstart to the boot code?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD