Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:53:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@jaxon.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Torsten Blum <torstenb@vmunix.org>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, shige@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zsh re-org

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Chris Piazza wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 10:12:40PM -0800, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
> >
> > > [ Annelise: what do you mean, "keep the user's history"? Did you look at
> > >   the zshall/zshenv manpages? I keep user history with env. vars. ]
> >
> > What I've got in the .zshrc is the following:
> >
> > PS1="%m %t %6c %# "
> > SAVEHIST=1000
> > HISTFILE="$HOME/.history"
> > export HISTFILE
> > export APPEND_HISTORY=1
> > alias su='fc -W $HOME/.history && \su -m'
> > export  HISTORY=$HOME/.history
> >
> > I then have a symbolic link in /root from .history to
> > /usr/local/home/andrsn/.history.  This works so that when I su
> > to root, the up arrow recalls commands issued as andrsn.  It
> > also changes the last element of the prompt from % to #, and
> > the rest of the PS1 line works as well (machine, time, location).
>
> Um.  I just tested what you have above and it's working perfectly
> with zsh-3.1.6.  Not *that* much has changed.  BTW, thanks!  I really
> like that setup :-). (except the PS1, but that's just my taste).

I just tried it, with zsh-3.16, logging in from a remote location.
The arrow keys don't work for me as expected; I get a bunch of blanks,
sometimes a previous "user" history item; I can no longer move back
over the line with the arrow-left or erase with backspace.  I suppose
all these key bindings have changed, or are being variously affected
by terminal emulations and so forth.  So it's different from when I
last tried it, but not quite right.

Annelise