Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:18:43 -0400
From:      Brian Campbell <brianc@pobox.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I guess guspnp14 is "Purfect"

On Fri, Aug 01, 1997 at 05:38:37PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> So far Paul Traina , reported that guspnp14 failed to recognize his
> gus classic however with a quick hack he was able to be up and running.
> Will fix that minor bugglet this weekend.

First, /dev/sndstat:

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha11-9707223 (Wed Jul 23 3:00:00 PDT 1997 Amancio Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
    Config options:

    Installed drivers:
    Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
    Type 5: Roland MPU-401
    Type 2: SoundBlaster
    Type 6: SoundBlaster16
    Type 7: SB16 MIDI
    Type 4: Gravis Ultrasound

    Card config:
    SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
    SoundBlaster16 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 5
    SB16 MIDI at 0x300 irq 5
    OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 1
    Gravis Ultrasound at 0x240 irq 11 drq 3
    Roland MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0

    Audio devices:
    0: SoundBlaster 16 4.13
    1: GUS PNP (CS4231) (DUPLEX)
    2: Gravis UltraSound

    Synth devices:
    0: Yamaha OPL-3
    1: Gravis PNP (1024k)

    Midi devices:
    0: SoundBlaster 16 Midi
    1: Gravis UltraSound Midi
    2: MPU-401 1.5U Midi interface #1

    Timers:
    0: System clock
    1: GUS
    2: MPU-401 Timer

    Mixers:
    0: SoundBlaster
    1: AD1848/CS4248/CS4231
    2: Gravis Ultrasound

The OPL3 still erroneously reports having IRQ 1 assigned.  The
config file says:

    device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

I still have the problem with detecting the OPL3 on my PnP SB16.
I upped the DELAY() in opl3_detect() to 30000 and it seems to work.
Half that isn't enough, but I didn't a lot of other values.

Has DELAY() changed between 2.2-STABLE and 3.0-CURRENT?

If the OPL3 isn't detected, the second use of the sequencer gives:

    /kernel: Sequencer: Warning! Cannot open synth device #0 (-16)

Playing audio files through the sound blaster seems to work well,
as does recording.  However, interrupting a playback and then
starting a new one gives:

    /kernel: isa_dmastart: channel 1 busy

And while I know it has been suggested that that line simply be
commented out, I think it indicates a problem.

Playing/recording through the GUS [MAX] doesn't seem to work at
all.  ktrace shows the reads returning -1 with EIO, and the writes
completing but the kernel complaining:

    /kernel: isa_dmastart: channel 3 busy
    /kernel: Sound: DMA (input) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
    /kernel: isa_dmastart: channel 3 busy
    /kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

As far as I know, nothing else is on DMA channel 3.

I also tweaked some of the midi timeouts, as mentioned in previous
messages.  Patches have been mailed to Amancio