Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:07:37 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How is freebsd doing

>I am considering installing freebsd on my computer instead of linux to run
>my home network. How is Freebsd doing as far as use compared to linux. Is
>it going to be around in 5 years? I just don,t want to get involved with it
>if it is going to fade away.

   FreeBSD is doing better than ever and will be around for decades to come.

> Also I have heard people say that Linux is a
>kernel with a bunch of added programs to it but freebsd is a complete
>operating system.
>
>What does this mean? Doesn''t Freebsd have a kernel also?

   Yes, FreeBSD has a kernel. The difference is that FreeBSD is developed with
both the kernel and user programs as a complete set. This makes everything
consistant and work together correctly right out of the box. Linux, on the
other hand, is a kernel with a bunch of stuff kludged on from many other
sources. Linux users report that they constantly have software compatibility
problems and a very difficult time keeping things "current".

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.