Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:38:57 -0600
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   retrieving flash data from pcmcia cards in freeBSD ... possible ?

Many pcmcia cards that I use have user-updateable firmware - basically a
flash region of some kind that you can update with newer firmwares.

When I want to update these items, I generally stick them in a windows
machine and get the new firmware from the manufacturer and use whatever
program they have to blow it in.  Easy.

I have two questions:

1. is there any standard among pcmcia cards as to where that firmware exists
on the card ?  That is, are all of those firmware-blow-in programs doing
about the same thing ?

2. is there any way, in FreeBSD, that I can at least _look at_ that firmware
and grab the data out of it - ideally I would also like to update it in
freeBSD as well ... are either of these possible ?  I am hoping that I can
at least view/retrieve the firmware.

thanks.