Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 14:22:07 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        richards@mail.ctenet.com (John Richards)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Probe v2.1 not recognizing PCI Bus

John Richards stands accused of saying:
> I have created a boot floppy, and at boot, I use the -c switch to customize.
> I have a Pentium 120 PCI/ISA Award BIOS v4.50G, 16MB RAM, Adaptec 2940 scsi
> controler, with 3c509B nic.  When I get to the config prompt, and use the ls
> command, I do not have the pci device ahc0 listed.  I believe I have tried

That's normal; PCI devices aren't listed because they have no parameters
that can be modified.  If you go to the 'visual' editor, the PCI devices are
listed, and you can 'disable' them, but this is just cosmetic.

> all documented possibilities.  The bottom line is that the kernel probe does
> not probe the PCI bus properly to find the Adaptec controller so I have no
> recognized hard drives.  In fact, the only time I see the probe even check
> for the PCI bus is when I use the -v option at boot.  With -v, it checks,
> but doesn't succeed.

This sounds like you are using a Compaq machine, or something else with a
broken PCI bus.  If you haven't had any responses from the PCI experts by
now, a brief post to hackers@freebsd.org stating your machine details (ie.
if it's a Compaq, or if not, what chipset/bios it's using, and the details
from the -v boot probe) should elicit a useful reponse.

> John Richards

Good luck!

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[