Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miner <david@slis-two.lis.fsu.edu>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>, edwin chan <huacheng@public.guangzhou.gd.cn>, Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@ait.ac.th>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Encrypted passwords

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

> correct me if i am just stupid, but i don't get the point
>   echo -n passW0Rd | pw -u testuser -h 1
> sets the password of "testuser" to "passW0Rd", soring it in the auth
> system you prefer in encrypted form. am i missing something?
>
> /k

No, I don't think you have missed the point.  Using echo and piping it
into pw would work.  I am trying read the cleartext password from a file
and, since I haven't figured out how the pw file descriptor works, encrypt
it and use the chpass utility to get it into /etc/passwd.  Because I have
to do this 50 accounts at a time.  It looks like it encrypts correctly,
but the user cannot log in with that password.  So something must be wrong
with the encryption system or the way I have put the pieces together.

David
David R. Miner                                   miner@lis.fsu.edu
Systems Integrator                               voice: 850-644-8107
School of Information Studies                    fax:   850-644-6253
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL  32306-2100