Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 14:24:26 +0200
From:      "laurent.cligny@gmail.com" <laurent.cligny@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 XENHVM] DomU terrible network performance trought NAT

Le 12/05/2011 20:22, Tobias P. Santos a écrit :
> laurent.cligny@gmail.com wrote:
>> Le 12/05/2011 17:02, Tobias P. Santos a écrit :
>>
>>> Try this:
>>>
>>> ifconfig xn1 -txcsum
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Tobias.
>>>
>> Hello Tobias,
>>
>> Unfortunately ifconfig xn1 -txcsum didn't give me lot of result.
>> Doing this my network perf through NAT is about 7KiB/s (that is better
>> than before, but still unworkable).
>>
>> Thanks for the idea, maybe we are not that far away from the solution.
>>

> We had a problem where traffic between VMs was too slow (about 5Mbps
> on a Gigabit network) and disabling TX checksum solved the problem
> (actually, speed increased to more than 1Gbps).
> Your problem is different as you have a nice throughput between VMs on
> xn1, sorry that I missed that on my first message.
>
> Did you try to transfer data from something connected to xn0 to one of
> yours DomU servers connected to xn1 without NAT?
> You also mentioned pf. Did you make any test using natd or anything else?
> Something tells me that's not a nic problem, but that's just a guess.
I already tried setup with natd, as I found on the list archives that PF
can pose problems with XENHVM kernels, but the network perfomance was
the same.

> Anyway, on the coming weeks I will have to set up a similar
> environment to yours, so maybe I'll face the same problem (although we
> use natd daemon instead of pf).
>
> Good luck!
I think I will keep my Linux PV VM to do NAT, as it is the only thing on
my Xen setup that cause problems for now. With that I will still be able
to work with FreeBSD for the backend servers.