Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 04:23:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        raymond@one.com.au
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File magic numbers

There aren't any such magic numbers.

A simple "man file" tells you the information file uses to determine
file types is in /usr/share/misc/magic. Doing "man magic" provides the
documentation on the format for that file. Read through that, and
figure out if your file format can be identified by what it does
without adding hooks specifically for that.

	<mike