Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:21:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > PrestoServe does not do striping.  PrestoServe does writeback caching.  This
> > helps by a large margin on things like metadata updates (because you can
> > write to cache and have a change queued to be written to the drive, and make
> > several more changes before the write actually gets scheduled to hit the
> > physical disk).
> >
> > On-Line Disk Suite does striping, concatenation, mirroring, and logging
> > filesystems.  It and PrestoServe are only somewhat compatible  :-/
>
> Damn.  I always get those products confused. 8-(.

:-)

> The use of server caching is discouraged without some type of log forward
> mechanism that can't be implemented without additonal hardware.
>
> NFS server caching sucks, almost as bad as NFS client caching.

PrestoServe is a battery-backed RAM cache.  This is the way you wanna do NFS
server caching, if you do it at all.  ;-)

Of course, while it works *best* for NFS server caching, it is also a good
general purpose writeback cache, which is why it is a win on a news server.

> > The other factor is that for effective concurrency, you need multiple
> > processes.  INN is a monolithic news processing engine, and you cannot get
> > the kind of concurrency needed to increase article processing performance
> > even on a multi-CPU Solaris box.  (well, this is an oversimplification of
> > the problem, but the point is that it is a single process which needs to be
> > able to do many hundreds of disk I/Os per second).
>
> Or async I/O.  Or auto-thread generation for blocking oprations.  Etc.
>
> This is a design problem with the news server, and we aren't going to
> fix it here.  8-(.

Realize that.  But that's not to say that it's not a good reason to improve
what is really suprisingly abysmal performance in the filesystem.  :-(

> > Taken from THE SAME drive,
> >
> > Slowaris 5.4 - SS10/30 - 64MB RAM (SCSI II, reasonable drive)
> >
> > 10000 files in 332 seconds - first run
> > 10000 files in 20 !!! seconds - second run
> >
> > FreeBSD 2.0.5R - ASUS SP3G AMD 486DX2/66 + NCR810 - 8MB (SCSI II, reasonable
> > drive)
> >
> > 10000 files in 620 seconds - first run  :-(  :-(
> > 10000 files in 310 seconds - second run  :-( :-( :-( !!
> >
> > That does not appear to be "the same order as"  :-(
> >
> > I haven't yet tried Solaris x86 - we just got gcc installed on our "test
> > box" today.
>
> Is the Sun running with PrestoServe or OLDS installed?  This would be
> an unfair comparison...

Of course it would  :-)  The PrestoServe numbers were also posted in my
original benchmark posting, but this is a pure Solaris system with no
additional garbage.  The systems quoted above are functionally equivalent
and I would expect to perform similarly - except that the ASUS had much less
memory.  This could be partly a caching issue of some sort, in which case I
would notice a difference if I put another 8MB RAM in, but I have yet to try
that.  And it does not explain the difference between 332 and 620 seconds
(in my mind).

... Joe