Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 10:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        The Devil Himself <fullermd@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT:  Printing an X11 screen.  How?

Hi The Devil Himself;  On 13-May-97 you wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time there used to be an wwd-xwud-xpr and somethingtopbm
> that
> > could print an X window or a portion thereof.
> >
> > Now all I see is xwd and xwud, whose man page refers to xpr which is
> > nowhere to be seen.  xtopbm from pbmnet only deals with bitmaps.
> >
> > I need, urgently to dump to a printer a number of X11 screens.  How?
> Well, the way I do it is:
> a) open another window.
> b) run vi (or your editor of choice)
> c) do the cut 'n' paste thingy (highlight, paste into editor w/ middle
> mouse button)
> d) save the file to something.
> e) lpr -h (file)
>
> Prob won't work too well for graphics, but for text, it works great.
> If you have multiple screenfulls to print, just pipe the initial output
> more (or less), and paste it over a screen at a time.

Thanx for the idea.  We already have mastered the basics of X11 cut and
paste
some time ago :-)  From the reference to xwd, i assumed one could guess the
need for bitmap oriented capture.  We have all learned several ways of
doing
just that now.  But, nobody can tell me where xpr is.  Too bad.

Thanx for all the help.

Simon