Date:      14 Jun 2002 21:10:44 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>, dnelson@allantgroup.com, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xscreensaver-gnome-4.05 install fails

--=-LKBUD8NnrpGNzLRWtiTo

Oh Dear..,
> Please don't do this. It can come back to bite you some day. You
> should never copy and file from /etc/defaults to /etc. Any values
> entered an the /etc file will override the values in /etc/defaults.
>=20

I was afraid of something like this..,=20

Tell you what, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just try to upgrade to
XFree86-4x right now. I was hoping that I could continue using
XFree86-3.3.6x until whenever, but it appears as if this has come to
haunt me in lots of new ways.

I posted questions on upgrading to XFree864x recently on this list, and
got lots of (widely disparate) views from many folks, but couldn't
decide on proceeding based on the various views produced by the
respondents.

One school says that I could use sysinstall to remove an installation of
XFree86 if installed from sysinstall at system build. And another says
that its not possible doing it that way - and that the only way is to rm
-r /usr/XR11/* and rebuild all dependent apps (not very appealing,
considering the difficulty in determining all the apps concerned).

Of course I could just re-build the box.., if I could find a spare
weekend to reconfigure everything:-(

Stacey

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 20:56, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
> > Date: 14 Jun 2002 20:21:46 +0100
> >=20
> >=20
> > --=3D-j8CaUY45cKo5XAthdY4c
> >=20
> > Hi Guys,
> >    Okay, I ran:
> > cp /etc/defaults/make.conf /etc/make.conf
>=20
> Please don't do this. It can come back to bite you some day. You
> should never copy and file from /etc/defaults to /etc. Any values
> entered an the /etc file will override the values in /etc/defaults.
>=20
> Next time something like the recent sendmail upgrade happens, things
> will break if you have done this.
>=20
> > then edited make.conf to show:
> > # By default, the ports collection attempts to use XFree86 3.3.X.  If
> > # you are running XFree86 4.X, uncomment this line.
> > #
> > XFREE86_VERSION=3D3
> >=20
> > However, Kevin, running pkg_version -v | grep XFree86 didn't return
> > anything:
> > # pkg_version -v | grep XFree86
> > #
> >=20
> > sigh.., What else could I do in this case? I'm not entirely sure how to
> > determine for sure the version of XFree86-3.3.6 I have here. I *do* kno=
> > for a fact that I did not ever change to XFree86-4x, though.
>=20
> Sigh. Another old rough spot in FreeBSD. In the old days if you did an
> install of the system and tole it to install XFree86, it installed the
> package, but sis not register it in the package DB. So you find
> nothing there and have no good way to un-install the image.
>=20
> At this point you can fix it in one of two ways:
>=20
> 1.  Delete the dependencies on XFree86-libraries with pkgdb -F and select
>     the delete option.
>=20
> 2.  Install the XFree86 port or package. This will allow the
>     dependencies to work correctly. It really shouldn't do anything
>     but over-write your existing XFree86 files and put them in the
>     package DB.
>=20
> I'd suggest the second as it will leave your system in a clean state
> and make the upgrade to version 4 a lot easier whenever you decide to
> do it, likely if you get a new video card some day that does not work
> with 3.3.6.
>=20
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer