Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:08:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        brian@easy1.mediacity.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My NCR810 dies on -stable, -current, but not 2.1.0-release

> On Feb 26,  0:37, "Brian Litzinger" wrote:
> } Subject: My NCR810 dies on -stable, -current, but not 2.1.0-release
> } Earlier I reported that my NCR 810 PCI controllers was locking up
> } after the 'changing root device to sd0a'.
> }
> } I happened to wait for about 30 seconds with the system stuck and
> } got this message:
> }
> } changing root device to sd0a
> } [about 30 second delay]
> } ncr0: aborting job ...
> } ncr0:1: ERROR (90:0) (8-0-0) (0/13) @ (c84:50000000).
> }         script cmd = 740a8700
> }         reg:     de 00 00 13 47 00 06 1f 35 08 00 00 90 00 0f 02.
> } ncr0: restart (fatal error)
> } sd0(ncr0:0:0) COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @f0a21800.
> } sd0(ncr0:0:0) FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
> } panic: cannot mount root
>
> No, but I'm surprised you see a difference
> between 2.1R and -stable ...

In trying to do an installation of 2.1R the other day from a SCSI
CD-ROM (TEAC cd-50) to a SCSI disk, a very similar error (visible on
virtual terminal #2) prevented the installation from ever getting beyond
about 15-20% of the bin distribution (I made several attempts).

I tried a different CD-ROM (a generic quad speed) and everything worked.
The original double speed cd-rom is a lot older and probably just
sucks in general. The door gets jammed sometimes too. I think I'm going
to throw it away.

I don't have the exact screen output, but it looked very similar and I
definately remember the "ncr0: restart (fatal error)" line. The motherboard
is an ASUS SP3-G motherboard (with a rev 2 ncr chip). Sorry I don't have
more details right now, but FWIW...

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com