Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 1995 14:45:28 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        hagnew@vt.edu
Cc:        hackers
Subject:   Re: **EMERGENCY** help with freebsd

>Dear Reader
>
>My name is Jared Agnew and I am in desperate need of help.
>
>I am currently attending Virginia Tech, and am a Computer Science major.
>This year VT made the CS students buy IMB machines.  Unfortunatly because
>big blue makes such a piece of junk PC I bought a different machine.
>
>Here is the tough part.  The school has a contract with IBM that if they
>bought the machines from them, they will make any software the school has
>work.  Now the school has IDE cd-roms and most have ethernet and IBM techs
>have FreeBSD software and are making it work for their machines.

Are the IBM techs writing an IDE cdrom driver for FreeBSD?  It would be
interesting to see if they submit their work.

>Unfortunatly I dont have any engineers to make my machine work and I have to
>have my machine FreeBSD ready by the end of next week, cd-rom and all.
>
>I have:
>
>Dell Pentium
>75Mhz
>32M of ram
>256K cache
>1 gig pci ide hard drive
>1 mitsumi 4X ide cdrom that plugs into the secondary ide controler slot on
>the board and that slot is set to irq 15
>3com 3C5O9 ethernet 10baseT card
>
>Install Record.
>
>I just finished installing from flopy and that worked with 2.0.5 but that
>wouldn't find cd-rom(which I know its not supposed to) and it also wouldnt
>find my ethernet.
>I also just finished installing that 950726-snap and that wouldn't even
>fully install(said somthing about bad load and for me to specify my shell or
>ch [ch].  Please I need help and will do anything I have to.

Did you boot with a -c and modify the base address, and irq of the "ep0"
device to match what your 3c509 is set to?

There is very green IDE cdrom support in -current.  You may want to try it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM