Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:12:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   PR ports/16672

Hi,

Authors of giflib are recommending switching over to libungif, which
only creates uncompressed (i.e., not using LZW compression) GIFs to
avoid infringing on Unisys's patent claims.

Here are some related URLs:

  http://prtr-13.ucsc.edu/~badger/software/libungif/
  http://prtr-13.ucsc.edu/~badger/software/libungif/giflib.shtml
  http://www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19950127giflzw.html

I think we should remove the giflib port and change the
giflib-requiring ports to depend on libungif.  The current version of
libungif is supposed to be API-compatible with the last giflib, so
programs that use giflib should work (theoretically) by just
recompiling.

What do you guys think?  If this is ok I'll go change all the
LIB_DEPENDS lines to point to libungif so we can fix things that break
before the freeze.

Satoshi