Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:00:53 -0500
From:      Andrew M McDermott <mcdermam@potsdam.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation form boot.flp

I have attempted to install FreeBSD via passive FTP approximately 20 times
in order to understand the process and the OS as much as possible. I have
encountered a number of problems which I have addressed from several
directions and thought I would pass along my experience and conclusions for
the benefit of others.

I have an In686/180 processor on an Intel Venus motherboard. I am running
NT 4.0 and LINUX Slackware (kernel 2.0.30) from a 2.5 GB HDD (Linux, NT,
shared space on FAT, and small Linux swap as partitions 1-4) and until now
have used lilo to boot. I have an AHA1542 compatible Tekram SCSI adapter
running a Quantum 365S (348 MB formatted) SCSI drive which I have used for
installing FreeBSD. My BIOS does not permit a boot from the SCSI drive,
lilo does not recognize FreeBSD and so I have attempted to use EasyBoot as
a boot manager.

1) the help included on my boot.flp disk (made from fdimage.exe from
ftp.freebsd.org) says that to use the boot manager to boot from a second
drive it is necessary to install BootEasy on the first IDE drive, but not
on the second drive. This does not work in my configuration. I must have
the manager on both drives for a successful access of FreeBSD on the SCSI.

2) I have noticed a discrepancy in the file systems on the various mirror
sites, and my installations fail differently depending upon the site chosen
for the same set on installation options. The only site at which I have
ever succssfully installed XFree86 is the main site, and that only began
succeeding recently. I get no error messages, the install proceeds very
smoothly until after compat21 ( I think it's called) is added, then goes
directly to the final configuration screen. The extra packages seem to
differ from site to site, and even between visits to the same site.

During my attempts it would have been very useful to have the option to
only install the X system without reinstalling the Basic User files (/bin
and others). In lieu of this a set of easily found and followed
instructions for separate installation of the X system would be valuable. I
did it the hard way once by copying the entire X directory to my local
share space and unzipping and/or pkg_add'ing things from there. This was
problematic and not completely satisfactory.

This is a very nice install procedure for a first-time user, but the
directions are not clear until one fouls up a few times.

After all these efforts I have yet to successfully install the system on my
SCSI, configure it, run it from BootEasy and set up X-windows to do
anything useful in a single install (though various portions of this in
combination always result). Without Midnight Commander (which I sometimes
could only get by FTP to the site after install, depending upon the site
chosen) it would have been much more painful finding my way around. I can
always use the boot disk prompt to do the job, but then, what is the point
of BootEasy?

I had an excellent e-mail experience with one of the volunteers (dwhite
somewhere in Oregon I think) on your Hard Dive set up help list.

Overall I thank you for your OS and your help. I hope to use FreeBSD as a
teaching tool as well as a work-horse for myself.