Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:29:51 +1030
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On Friday 25 January 2002 00:15, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
> I am NOT going to quote all that lot!  :-)

Thank you for an interesting and helpful response.
Nice to know we are on the same side!

WinDoze does probe for and assist in the setup of a modem.
(It then screws up more often than enough, ..... yuk!)
Linux probes for and assists in the setup of a modem, but doesn't screw
up afterwards ... Yeh! )

The two efficient FreeBSD install methods are CDROM and network.
Most of us newbies will be using CDROM, and immediately thereafter
looking to use Internet access via modem and ISP.

I am using Linux (RedHat 7.1) now, though I find that a bit hard
because of my DOS expertise (hard to learn, when you also have to
unlearn).
My inclination is to use "real" Un*x ie FreeBSD rather than pseudo
Minix/Un*x ie Linux, and that now is the time to switch - before I have
TWO systems to unlearn!

I havent tried uninstalling Xwrapper and reinstalling.  Will have a go
at that later.

--
Regards,
Brian