Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:57:31 -0600
From:      "雲電之風 Michael Wu" <keichii@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        "-chat@FreeBSD" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: China loves Linux?

As I understand [being a recently arrived foreign
student in US from Taiwan],
Most of the backbone and main servers in Asia[i.e.
Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan,
Hong Kong] are either FreeBSD or Linux.  You would
be surprised at
how "grassroots" FreeBSD is in China, Taiwan, and
Hong Kong.
Unlike what I have observed in the US, many
students from high school and up
[especially college students] use localized
versions of FreeBSD or Linux
for personal workstations.

Here are some interesting things you might want to
know:
1. China recently *required* ALL commercial usage
of encryption to
   register at a newly established bureau.  The
bureau will most likely be
  manned by people who struggle with setting up
Outlook Express.

2. Have you pinged any of the *.cn lately?  ;)
    The entire province that Shanghai is in
shares, IIRC, a 100mb ~200mb/sec line
     [Shanghai city has 20million people]

3. Most of China's backbone lives on FreeBSD
anyways.

4. China is known notoriously for having
government enforced "reforms"
    that nobody in China regards.

I have done consulting for an ebay-clone based in
China.  Most of the admins/developers
in that company use and like FreeBSD very much.
[Just to give an idea of how the situation is,
this company spent 5million US dollars
for equipment alone and uses mainly
FreeBSD+MySQL.]

Anyway, in my humble opinion FreeBSD presence in
Asia is very deep rooted
and I do not think will be affected by China's
decisions.

P.S. To all the guys engaged in the i18n effort,
        keep up the good work! :)

Sincerely,

--
Michael Chin-Yuan Wu <keichii@mail.utexas.edu>
鉛刀貴一割﹐夢想聘良圖。

: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/991110/22/ax8w.html
:
: http://www.graphon.com/News/pr-china991102.html
:
: China is really going to fall in love with
Linux?
: This can be a sad news for us FreeBSD lovers...
:
: Regards, Goshik
:
the message