Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:37:00 -0700
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 and alpha DS10

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 06:59 pm, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Jim Pirzyk writes:
>  > (WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0x18a0000 e: 0x18a3fff
>  > correcting^G
>  >
>  > So I am thinking the problem has to due with the 'no driver attached'
>  > message from the kernel.
>
> No, the kernel has nothing to do with allocating pci memory ranges;
> that is done by the  'bios" -- srm console in this case.
>
> The problem is that the X server always screws up when it "corrects"
> the memory range.  Keep it from correcting anything, and you may be
> OK.

So I took a ELSA Gloria-8 card from a DS20e and put it into this DS10.
The 'show bios' at the SRM prompt now shows this card, but I still do
not get a PCI mem range on bootup, I still get both these messages:

pci0: <display, VGA> at device 17.0 (no driver attached)

and in XFree86.0.log

(--) PCI:*(0:17:0) Texas Instruments Permedia 2 rev 1, Mem @ 0x02080000/17,
0x01000000/23, 0x01800000/23, BIOS @ 0x020b0000/16

(WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0x2080000 e: 0x209ffff correcting^G