Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:08:44 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>, Pat Lathem <plathem@ivestnw.net>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying of Developer's Guide

On 2003-02-19 16:12, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 10:46:12PM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 11:42:36AM -0800, Pat Lathem wrote:
> > > I recently tried to print out out the Developer's Guide at a
> > > local Kinko's. They refused because it is copyrighted. They
> > > looked at page 2 of the guide, and decided that it was not
> > > explicit stately that reproduction was allowed (in printed
> > > form). Could that page possibly explicitly state that it is
> > > permissible to copy the Developer's handbook (with whatever
> > > restrictions) in printed form? It would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I think
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/ln12.html
> > is quite clear on that point: you can print it :)
>
> Just to be explicit, we could slightly expand point 2;
>
>   2.  Redistribution in compiled form (...), or in print, must
>       reproduce, ...
>
> Just the ", or in print, " is added.

Looks fine.

> Any objections?

No, not really.  I was thinking of something similar, like:

    2.   Redistribution or reproduction in compiled form (...)

as a means of allowing anyone to copy, print, reuse, or do anything
else they find fit with the documents, as long as they don't expect
any sort of warranty and they don't claim they did the original.

Perhaps, we could combine the "reproduction" stuff with "in print"?
Or does one of them make the other redundant?

- Giorgos